A world of iconic women
For International Women’s Day, we asked you to nominate an iconic women who was born in the same country or island as you. Here’s the result – 51 flags!
Click on each flag to celebrate Guernsey’s diversity and see the amazing achievements of women in public life around the world.
Did you enjoy our quiz?
Many congratulations to Juliana Le Prevost whose name was drawn out of the hat of correct entries for our iconic women quiz. She won a meal for four people at Muse, worth £100.
How many did you get right? The answers are below.
- How many women on the map were the first female president, prime minister or chancellor of their country?Answer: Seven. They are Mary Robinson, Ireland; Angela Merkel, Germany; Vaira-Vike Freiberga, Latvia; Dalia Grybauskaite, Lithuania; Zuzana Čaputová, Slovakia; Julia Gillard, Australia; Jacinda Ardern, New Zealand.
- Who inspired generations with her efforts to make her country’s legal system fairer to all, particularly women? Answer: Ruth Bader Ginsburg, USA
- Who is the first woman to be appointed Director General at the World Trade Organisation? Answer: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Nigeria
- Who was her country’s first woman to be Air Marshal and to conduct scientific research in the Arctic? Answer: Dr Padmavathy Bandopadhyay, India
- Which country on the map ranks the highest in the global IPU rankings for the percentage of women in its national parliament? What position would Guernsey hold in the rankings? New Zealand ranks the highest, in 4th place with 48.3%. Guernsey would be 110th, with 21%.